Translate

Friday, May 04, 2012

Simplifying number theory

Surprisingly to me, I have found my ability to simplify certain areas of number theory to be the best path to confidence in my ideas, and importantly in discrete mathematics I found a way to reduce Diophantine equations like:

c1x2 + c2xy + c3y2 = c4 + c5x + c6y

which is called a binary quadratic Diophantine as x and y are the unknowns, to a general form like:

u2 - Dv2 = C

where u and v are the new unknowns and in solving them you find x and y with the original equation.

It's a simplification of number theory as the traditional ways to reduce involve three different ways depending on the values of the c's, while I found there is one way available.

I used a mathematical tool I call tautological spaces for that discovery, which also gave me a very useful relation on the simplified form, where I'll go back to x and y for the unknowns:

The equation x2 - Dy2 = F

requires that

(x+Dy)2 - D(x+y)2 = -F(D-1).

Remarkably that alone allowed me to connect equations when F=1, with Pythagorean Triples when D-1 is a square, which was the first indication for me, of the importance of D-1, where since then I've been able to explain the size of fundamental solutions, with factors of D-1 being part of it.

That covers research mostly completed in 2008. I've updated some of it recently, for better exposition.

These results were I believed intriguing and they helped my confidence as I could just play with actual numbers and watch them behave as the equations required. But I still was looking for social validation from mathematical society.

Recently I found that I could do even more with the simplified form and solve for y modularly:

Instead of x2 - Dy2 = F, let x = z-ky or x = -(z-ky), so:

(z-ky)2 - Dy2 = F.

Then it can be shown that if integer solutions for x2 - Dy2 = F exist, it must be true that:

2ky = z - Fz-1 mod D-k2

(z-ky)2 = k2y2 + F mod D-k2

Here there is the additional requirement that 2kyz + F = -1 or 1 mod 8, or 0 mod 4, if D-k2 is a square.

And now it was REALLY cool watching numbers behave as expected including quadratic residues where their spacing now made mathematical sense as being governed by those equations.


James Harris

No comments: