Translate

Monday, November 13, 2017

Some math and attention reality

Mathematics has a huge value to our species for what we can do with mathematical things and has developed to a level of abstraction where much of it can be distant for many.

That is true in lots of areas of human interest and recently noted to myself how little I know about paint, though see all over the place, and have painted things. But how much do I really need to know to live my life?

Reliance on expertise is a necessity in our world where so much was developed over so much time and mathematics is one of the oldest areas of human interest and effort. Yet can still surprise us with powerful tools. Like one of my personal favorites is my own discovery.

Given: u2 + Dv2 = F

then it must also be true that

(u-Dv)2 + D(u+v)2 = F(D+1)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Reference blog post: Binary Quadratic Diophantine Iterator

That is not complicated really. And yeah, if you THINK the only thing you need to do is discover something interesting, then you do NOT need to be an expert in that area.

One of my favorite examples made with it, so yeah have on repeat as I think tells SO much:

(462 + 482 + 722)(1722 + 258+ 430+ 6022 + 17622) = 


            615+ 30752 + 141452 + 159902  + 1884972   =  774*210

Do you know how was done? On this blog can see easily built--and explained.

Yeah we DO need people who can develop a deep knowledge most do not need to have, like about paint like do I need to ponder its chemical structure? No. However if I noticed something cool about paint, might I expect say a chemist who specialized in paints to find curious, if true? I think so.

Am NOT a mathematician. Am someone who has found some cool, relatively simple things, including ones that challenge what we think we know, about numbers. And went to the people who are establishment, repeatedly.

Math in its usefulness is how we have so much. As human beings learned more to do with what they had, have discovered more. To me that is SO cool.

Have watched as people from all over the world come to this blog, to look at things, presumably useful. I know I like playing with numbers.

Then I think a spectator mentality takes over. Especially when you've been trained to accept pronouncements of supposedly important math which very few people are expected to barely understand. Which is ok, is like with my paint example. We just need to know that expertise is real, you know?

While with me and my math discovery, is much emphasis on simple understanding and being able to DO something with the math, which is also am sure a great draw.

The math is the indicator. The attention flows naturally--to what works well.


James Harris

No comments: