Translate

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Pragmatic research perspective works

Coming into doing my own looking for mathematics for fun was a great thing for me. So yeah there was never any reason to think would be collaborating with others as for all I knew would never find anything. And am NOT a mathematician, but am someone interested in numbers who has had a lot of of modern problem solving training.

When I DID have a profound find and dutifully went to mathematicians was kind of thinking certain things would happen which did not.

And I got to do solitary research exploring my own major research finds and gain a different perspective not just on the mathematical community, but also academia.

With a need to know, the pursuit of truth was fun for me, and still is. So no problem there. Actually am type to do solitary research, so it just went well.

However DID learn some things. And in my opinion many modern academics are desperate for that one thing or other which will give them a burst of attention, usually with others in their field, but SOMETIMES you can get news headlines, on which to build a career.

And academics are terrified of looking bad, or upsetting the majority so work very hard to be sure to never get on the wrong side of their colleagues, especially with research interests, which I think is sad and maybe problematic. The truth does not care. What isn't discovered as a result?

Which to me is the celebrity mentality. Could replace academic with singer or actor, and is the same dynamic.

Looking for that Big Break. Wanting to exploit for as much as you can to get status. Then milk that status for all its worth where academics DO get an advantage there in terms of longevity with it. Though for celebrities can kind of get equivalent, like with a Grammy Award or an Academy Award, which can tout for a lifetime.

That to me explains what I call the social problem--like full mathematicians with advanced degrees, behave as if social opinion is all that matters.

Yeah for THEIR careers.

So I learned functionally reality of what it is like to be a mathematician. And no, do not want to be a mathematician.

Am thankful escaped ever thinking I might want to be.

Almost became a physicist, and yeah, glad simply escaped modern academia.

The ideal of academia is giving people freedom to pursue best ideas to further human knowledge. And much of that does get done am sure. My support of academia remains though more is with love of the ideal will admit.

In my opinion, modern academia presented to the public is more often defined by people looking for a career than people searching for truth. And it shows.

Public is ever more skeptical, as am I, as am part of the public too. Am NOT an academic and have no interest in becoming one. And am far more testing of the reality now.

The wannabe celebrity types? Are so easy for me to spot now.


James Harris

No comments: