Translate

Friday, August 07, 2015

Much better than expected

There is that wonderful thing that time can do which is settle things. And as things have settled I've become far more appreciative of how well things have gone for me, which requires focus on the mathematical community.

Turns out it's very vibrant, and quite healthy, driving a TREMENDOUS amount of progress globally, and in the past I was worried about that community as I lacked perspective, and didn't realize that I'm a member of it.

Reality is that most mathematics used today is in science and technology, but also in finance, and vast other areas. And if you look at drivers for progress in mathematics itself, the real heat is in such areas.

It may not be admitted but the dying areas are "pure". And while there is a lot of funding for those areas which may dominate at universities, my experiences which I've pointed out here more recently explain why it is dying. Quite simply some have chosen to see mathematics as a social enterprise where the opinion of mathematicians is what's right.

Linking to an article from 2003 which I'm glad is still up. I've wondered why it was never pulled as it puts forward a notion that mathematics is too complex for absolute proof, so you need a committee of expert mathematicians, to decide.

My reaction was to define proof, where I focused on beginning with a truth and proceeding by logical steps so that you know it is absolute. And I recently put up an example of an absolute proof to refresh.

That attitude that the opinions of mathematicians are real in mathematics is so ludicrous it could never hold sway outside of "pure mathematics" which is useless, as in the real world buildings would literally crumble, as mathematics is not about opinion.

However I DO have a responsibility for the health of pure mathematics. And reality is that much of what I've accomplished is pure. But there is no rush. The world isn't pressuring me to do anything spectacular in that regard, which is a relief.

The ability of some to block mathematical proof, like with my stunning story of a paper revealing my ability to put forward a mathematically correct paper by established standards which appears to establish something not true is all about the power of uselessness.

The fight for the soul of mathematics could not be an easy one. But my relief was in knowing that the mathematical community is hale and hearty, powering our world forward. Which gives me time to just grind out the rest.

At times I've debated with myself if I should just force the situation, but use of force is not in my nature. While I might simply break the resistance of the pure mathematicians in an instant, the fallout could be problematic for decades.

Besides, the world does not need that to happen or it would pressure me to make it happen.

And so far the world seems ok with things going as they have.

Time can be a wonderful way for all concerned to gain perspective, especially me.


James Harris

No comments: