Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2016

True power of correctness

Talked about my disruptive approach to mathematical discovery, where was more into brainstorming ideas where meant many were useless or wrong, but would put up public which helped me have them critiqued. So different am sure from what most math people do, but am NOT a mathematician, where like to emphasize, as frees me to do things different.

Still some people can ignore even the simplest disclosures and try to hold you to rules they think apply. And with disruption of established ways? Yeah that word "disruption" can mean some will react badly, and the insulting names game can seem appealing to them, but to me is childish. I call it a playground mentality. Which to me emphasizes is talking a behavior and not labeling a person or group of people.

And so long ago seems now, when was actively arguing out math ideas can remember distinctly when something remarkable happened. And yes had times when was convinced some idea was correct only to have it fall apart in shambles, worst after MONTHS. But at some point I flipped on my own ideas as realized the math does not care.

If you have a correct mathematical approach it does not care. It does not know you exist. The math has no opinion on you. It has no feelings whatsoever it is just correct. It will work.

At some point arguing with others, which just don't bother now, realized an odd feeling as the slings and arrows of words kind of made me flinch but was like a shield was there. Eventually it's like this odd feeling as you realize nothing is getting through. The math deflects all attempts against it. Blocks all attempts at reason to find fault, as there is none.

And the words ceased to have meaning.

The math does not care. It protects without thought. Defends without effort.

I was shielded by correctness not because the math defended ME but because I relied upon it.

It is fun then, as you attack it. Try to take down your own ideas. Get creative at approaches to debunk it.

The true researcher should be the most virulent in testing against own ideas. Best ones don't care what you think. Flawed approaches can reflect your need or mental limits, or those of others if you rely upon ideas handed to you when wrong.

There is no point in defending correct mathematics, as trust me, if it IS correct it is unassailable. Perfectly shielded. I try to think it defends me but must fight my emotion.

The math does not care.


James Harris

No comments: