Translate

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Web rules and my Diophantine reducer

One of my more informative results can help elucidate how the web has changed things with sharing even highly refined information, like consider if wanted to reduce:

x2 + 2xy + 3y2 = 4 + 5x + 6y

Can use my method for reducing to get: [-4(x+y) + 10]2 + 2s2 = 166

Which is an example have used since 2011, where s = 9, and x+y = 2, is one solution, from which you can find: x = 4, y = -2 as one solution. And another gives: x = 5, y = - 2

Kind of cool, huh? Same y works for two different values for x. And really glad the equation had integer solutions! And easy ones too. Is obvious why I picked it am sure. And s has an explicit solution as a function of x and y, but I don't use it, as just helps by giving two linear equations to solve for x and y, but DO talk about it in this post.

And copied example from this post showing my way to reduce what are called binary quadratic Diophantine equations and have also seen called two variable quadratic Diophantine equations.

For me reducing is for show.

But there are people who need to reduce these types of equations for am sure lots of reasons, so linking to my method is about usefulness. However, why link to something worse than other techniques? To do so would be illogical, and against common sense.

In fact have noted my method improves upon methods for reducing learned are from Gauss. But with his techniques you also need to check something called a discriminant. With my approach that is worthless effort, and I make no mention of such a thing.

Turns out you don't need it.

But what do you think is in some math textbook, eh? And am a HUGE fan of Gauss, but if he were alive today doubt he'd be surprised that his authority is not taken lightly. Who knows when academics will update.

Innovation tends to lead in dramatic ways which is more fun and rapid. People who NEED will just go to the best thing available, when know it is. Getting established? Is more of a process which to me is tedious and depends on others, whose motivations can vary.

Web makes all that irrelevant from MY perspective.

Web can just connect information DIRECTLY to the people who need it.

With such older research of mine the web is very efficient in linking to it. And I can check search engines based on my own results to see if search results will get to them, and do it routinely.

Usually Google wins, and will check against Bing more than others. However, at times with more recent research have seen Bing win. And I think Google is making more effort to rely on establishment authority, rather than just on web authority, which is a hypothesis to explain that result.

Over time though, best results will win, and notice that is true regardless of the web.

And academics lagging best methods is not new I don't think. The web though can simply link to best, though I think often is being done on various views of authority! Which I think is interesting.

Picked one of my most dramatic examples but can help explain other areas too. Right now have several results could have used, but I like this one as is connected to some serious practical things.

World doesn't sit and wait on academics. And never has. But web has made things easier.

So yeah, one thing I do routinely is check search engines to see better how they operate based on what happens with my own research results, when can check those objectively against what is known, where usually can.

Figuring out web rules is of interest to me.


James Harris

No comments: