Translate

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Knowledge as entertainment or sport

There is a great thing about mathematics that you do not need to work to convince, when is correct. And have noted past success with my own research in getting published, even though I also make sure to note chief editor tried to delete out my paper AFTER publication from a now dead electronic journal, which was back in 2004.

However, it occurs to me that people seem to think AM trying to convince, when am sharing mathematical truths, which of course is a position that can collapse if they evaluate.

Like shared that story of a math grad student who I guess thought he might be able to convince me I was wrong, over a decade ago, and what happened when he instead convinced himself.

He was deflated.

That is NOT fun to witness either. And have encountered more than once. So no, there is no flush of satisfaction as if won an argument. Math just is. For me there has usually been a bit of sadness for that person. The truth should not hurt, but is choice of that person, not me.

To me the rest of the story with mathematics in the modern age is NOT with whether or not you can prove, but how others react, and I think math for those who don't avoid it, who think they value it, is like entertainment or sport.

So yeah, can easily convince mathematicians--better yet, my math easily convinces mathematicians, as one would expect. There is no mathematical basis for denial of it. But it is disappointing for them emotionally.

Is maybe like watching a favorite team lose a sporting event, when someone finally realizes am correct. They deflate and slink off. Is that cruel? They disappear. That person so jumping up and down and excited like a fan cheering on the home team--the mathematical establishment, deflates and metaphorically, just goes home.

People who do not care if the math they do is correct as long as they FEEL good doing it, or talking about it. They represent a problem I find difficult to solve. Correct mathematical arguments? Just make them feel worse. The more proof given? Worse they feel. Then they just walk away from it, to keep doing what they like.

So yes! Have experienced winning the arguments for those who wonder. So no, you do not have anything to offer by agreeing with what I know to be true. And I've watched what people do next.

Have watched, as they, slink away from the truth.

And I have pondered the behavior, for years.

It is a difference of our times I think. Possibly a product of a culture where entertainment and sports are HUGE in lives of many, including me, where others maybe think they chose knowledge, but reality is they get pronouncements from people informing something is important. Same people also often saying is TOO DIFFICULT for most to understand. So yeah, for them? Is not about knowledge, but about trust and emotion. Their cheering of mathematics is no different than others cheering their favorite sports team or celebrities.

And when math bursts that bubble? They shrink away like a morose crowd upset with a loss by the home team.

Which I realized years ago. And I call it, the social problem. That in the 21st century people of the math community do NOT care if math is correct. They care how it makes them feel. Applied math is safe from this effect. In pure math it dominates. Notice where MOST of today's mathematicians are.

What can you do though, when the truth is not appealing?

Working on solving the social problem, like with this post. Solution is to get people to value the knowledge, not their emotion about the knowledge. But how? Is such a weird problem and remarkably difficult to solve. So no, is not needed for me to work to convince. Can simply share, and is EASY for me to get agreement on my math research.

Is math after all.

Math works that way.


James Harris

No comments: