Translate

Monday, July 30, 2018

Importance of certifying authority

Have various claims like I claim to have a degree in physics from Vanderbilt University. And also claim to be a US military veteran as served some years working primarily in medical centers. Regardless of what I claim though, much depends on what others certify, where in those cases is straightforward.

So Vanderbilt University is the certifying authority as to my physics degree, and the US Government is the certifying authority about my status as a military veteran. But what about with math?

Let us say for an analogy that I show up at some agency of some kind and wish to get benefits as a veteran, and that agency checks and because of a mistake the US Government does NOT certify my status as a veteran.

Then of course I would not get those benefits at that time.

And what could I do then? Could protest. Might claim is a mistake! But would have to work to get the proper facts certified to have anything happen.

Which of course is a scenario that has not happened. Just found relevant to consider what I might try if it did.

In actuality, when needed both the US Government and Vanderbilt University have certified. And thinking about this post realized I took it for granted! But now I don't. Is a deep thing really and much appreciated.

And for so many am sure relying on a certifying authority is something that happens routinely for them.

With mathematics the certifying authorities are leading mathematicians around the world. And presumably when presented with an important major mathematical discovery they would certify that discovery as one.

(Should at least mention web authority, but also to note to my knowledge is not officially recognized as a certifying authority. However is extremely important in my story! So deserves this aside.)

Notice the mathematical discovery should drive the certification as the knowledge is what is important.

If leading mathematicians do NOT certify a result as a major discovery then reasonable people can presume that it is not.

So when you work through how things are supposed to work, you can realize my job does end with a mathematical discovery once shared--if I've made one.

One reason to make this post is to clarify my own position that refusal to acknowledge my major results is a social problem which I will not address directly until 2028. That has to do with audience for a particular post. Because was concerned was making posts which were trying to be convincing to certifying authorities.

Instead now my posts are meant for people who can check my math for themselves who also might wonder how discovery can not be properly recognized. And reality is: I wonder as well.

But main point is, is not about me there.

Also helps you understand limitations on what I can do with such behavior.

So will not address people who SHOULD behave certain ways with mathematical discovery until 2028, with posts here. Which is just about the intended audience for my posts.

The behavior has gone on for more than a decade so yeah, I should think also about others who may wonder about it. However posts that talk certain things should NOT be making a case or trying to be convincing to math people who I think are behaving badly. That is what is not to be done further for now until 2028, if necessary then.

Have put LOTS of my explanation out already though, where tried to put all under label: social problem

So if curious for what have already written on subject clicking on that label below is a way to get lots.

Which lets me talk things as settled when I know they are. And discuss my mathematical discovery in a more fulfilling way.

Is more fun for me that way, can be helpful for others, while also lets me talk about whatever, as long as am NOT trying to make a case. Am at best sharing facts as I know them to an interested audience.


James Harris

No comments: