Translate

Friday, May 06, 2016

Appeal of useless research to some

Was amazed to realize that my need for a functional way to determine if a mathematical argument was a proof or not, without worrying after if was a figment of my imagination, lead me to a functional definition, which lead to the concept of a functional definition versus traditional descriptive ones.

Then I found myself founding functional definitions where I needed them, including for entertainment which transformed my entertainment experience, while also helping me with social media theory.

That to me is useful research. However the mathematical field became dominated by pure mathematics some time ago, which prides itself when research is valueless to the public.

But why should that be cheered?

Supposedly frees researchers to focus on valuable intellectual pursuits without looking for profit, but modern pure mathematicians profit all the time, from charitable funding from a public that is giving them the freedom--to pursue information they think is useless to the public because it is "pure".

Prestige in mathematics was and is built on value to the public. Luckily the value of mathematics itself will never be called into question as mathematical ideas are intrinsic to our science and technology.

However those mathematicians of today with work that is not relevant to the public necessarily rely on efforts of other people who proved value.

But what does that do for the future of those who are to come. When maybe a public has tired of the charity?

My distancing from mathematicians is telling. To me? It's safer.

Why pay for useless research? Why reward for things that don't do anyone else any good on an endless faith that maybe someday they might in some hypothetical refused to be given by those who might claim it beneath their dignity to so speculate?

To some the appeal of money for nothing of value to the public may be obvious! Why produce something of value to them?

That could be harder I think.

Luckily such shortsightedness is irrelevant. There are others to take up the mantle of mathematical discovery, and show that mathematical logic, even at its purist is extremely useful.

My functional definition after all is pure as well. But useful? Most definitely.

To me that shows a faith in mathematics and logic that many may lack as the best ideas should work in the real world because reality is really cool.

I actually like being able to get things done--in the real world. Not just in the mind's of mathematicians.

But of course, I am NOT a mathematician, thank God.


James Harris

No comments: